Apply for a firearms licence


In line with current law, All firearms transactions must be carried out face to face. You cannot purchase a firearm over the internet and have it delivered to you.

To assist you SFB can arrange for your local registered Firearms dealer (RFD) to purchase the firearm.

SFB can then transfer the firearm via a registered courier to your local Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD).

Your local Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD). can then sell the firearm to you with a face to face transaction.

Any cost of transportation will be charged to you prior to delivery and in addition to that of the firearm.

Your local RFD may also charge you for their time receiving, handling and storing the firearm.

Appropriate Licence

In order to purchase any firearm with us, you need a valid firearms / Shotgun certificate. This is issued by your local police authority to possess, buy or acquire a firearm or shotgun and ammunition. A firearms licence will specify exactly what type of firearm and the amount of ammunition that you are able to possess along with those already in your possession.

For general advice see our below section on How to apply.

How to apply

You can get a firearm or shotgun certificate application form online from the firearms licensing unit of your local police force.

You must:currently (at the time of posting)

  • Complete an application form
  • Provide 1 passport photograph
  • Have 2 referees for a firearm certificate and 1 referee for shotgun certificate
  • Pay the fee for the certificate you are applying for

You can get the fees from your local police force, in this case Sussex Police. The fee amounts can be found from the firearms licensing unit of the police force where you live.

You must also prove to the chief officer of police that you have a requirement to posses firearms including the calibre and action type. Examples may include shooting club membership, land / pest control, deer management,

A shotgun certificate won’t be granted or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act..

A certificate usually lasts 5 years from the date it was issued or renewed but can be revoked at any time and without notice.


Your certificate will include a photograph of you and information about the firearm(s) or shotgun(s) you have in your possession.

You must:

  • Follow any condition attached to the certificate (the chief officer of police can vary these conditions at any time by giving notice in writing)
  • Be able to show your firearm or shotgun certificate if asked by the police

You must have a European Firearms Pass if you want to travel within Europe with your guns. You can apply for this at the same time as your firearms certificate.

European firearms passes are normally valid for 5 years or the length of your firearm certificate – whichever is shorter.

You can renew a European firearms pass by applying to the chief officer of police in your local police force.

Your shotgun or firearms certificate can take a while to arrive, depending on where you live in the country, so don’t delay in applying for your certificate.

If you already have a firearms licence then make sure you renew your licence – applications must be submitted to the Firearms Licensing Unit at least 8 weeks before expiry.

Home Office Guidance

For general Guidance and further advice from the home office please find the below link

Section 5 Dealers

We are very happy to support other Section 5 Dealers in the UK.

For more information contact us.